– So lots of people
ask me, “Pat, what sorts of apparatus do you employ to your movies?” Effectively, all that stuff, which I do know is not actually sensible for these of you who’re at house and taking pictures movies to your personal YouTube movies,
and even on-line programs. However on this video, I wanna present you an excellent easy setup with
the assistance of Caleb right here, who’s truly going to
be filming with an iPhone, which will likely be a view that you just see, which it is best to see proper now. Hey all people. Tips on how to movie one thing of high quality that’s YouTube and/or
video course worthy. So stick round. Alright, so Caleb, earlier than we set this up I needed to ask you a pair issues. Is an iPhone or an Android,
Samsung or no matter… Are these cameras adequate now to film–
– Lots. Lots adequate. – Okay, the second query on lighting: do we have to purchase lights or get lighting with a view to have good high quality video? – The one factor shopping for lights does is it makes it constant, so you may movie at any time of the day, but when you do not have the cash for a lightweight, or you do not need to spend cash on a lightweight,
you need to use pure gentle and use the largest window in your own home. – Okay, so if we had been going
to movie a course right here, however we did not have all this gear, the place would you suggest we go? And hopefully individuals
might need an equal or one thing comparable at their home. – I might go to the largest home windows, and I might go to the entrance inexperienced room, the planning room there,
‘trigger there’s home windows all on one aspect, and
generally I do not even convey lights in there, we
simply movie utilizing the window. – Alright, let’s go. We’re gonna use the iPhone
and see what it appears to be like like. (upbeat funky music) Okay, so this is the room
that we’re in proper now. We name this the inexperienced room
‘trigger there’s inexperienced issues in right here but–
– [Caleb] So the very first thing I might do, is I might flip off the lights. – Flip off the lights. – Yeah.
– Why? – ‘Trigger the overhead fluorescent lights, they appear to be junk. In the event that they’re on, like, it is a bizarre colour, it provides you bizarre
shadows below your eyes. Flip off the lights,
that’d be step one. – Okay
– Second step could be, proper now all of the blinds are literally closed, so I might simply open ’em up. – [Pat] Okay, that is straightforward
– Yeah? – [Pat] Not likely a pleasant view on the market. – Oh, the dumpster? Yeah. However, for those who look this fashion
now, it is good comfortable light– – [Pat] Oh, you meant this fashion. – [Caleb] Yeah, good comfortable gentle. You would need to pay some huge cash to get sufficient lights to
make one thing this dimension, and this comfortable and
lovely, so window gentle. – [Pat] Okay.
– Third factor: clouds. If it is a cloudy day, partially cloudy, largely cloudy, that
will affect your filming as a result of the lighting is gonna change. So, ideally, you both movie on a day that is fully cloudy and overcast, or a day that is fully sunny. It is these partially cloudy
days that you just kinda simply have to concentrate to the lighting altering, that may make it tougher if you edit. – [Pat] Okay, so let’s flip the iPhone on proper now,
– Yep. – [Pat] and we’ll begin
to have a look at that view. And, so, I am going to play behind the scenes right here. If I am filming a course,
I do know from expertise that I do not need to
be sitting, like, right here. – [Caleb] That is the iPhone view, now. – Proper, so that is
the place I might be wanting. – [Caleb] Proper now, you are
actually darkish and the surface is shiny, and if I strive
to make you actually shiny, then outdoors is totally
blown out and white. So sitting in entrance of a
window when it is actually shiny would not work.
– That is dangerous. That is like a silhouette, proper? – Yeah.
– Okay, so as a substitute, I might think about that having the sunshine going through you’d be greatest, proper? So let me go right here, and let’s
see what distinction that makes. – [Caleb] So I am setting down
the tripod, slightly low, however, have in your face, publicity’s
good, that is respectable lighting. I do not suppose I might change a lot about that
– Okay. Hello, all people. However how about, let’s suppose
of like what’s behind me. In case you had been in a room, what could be greatest behind you for surroundings, proper? ‘Trigger if I had been to go to,
like, this scene, you’d have a half minimize window and a few Publish-It Notes, which I actually would not need
in a course or a video, proper? – I imply, oftentimes I default to filming with a bookshelf behind you, so turning, having the bookshelf
behind you, that is a fairly regular backdrop.
– Okay, so that is truly not a nasty angle. – Yeah.
– Would it not matter, like, filming into the nook of a room, versus, like, the flat aspect? – Generally corners add depth,
however flat aspect, clear wall, you realize, recently, I’ve simply been filming with a paper backdrop roll, so I haven’t got to consider any of that stuff, and I simply simplify it,
make it’s tremendous clear. – So I might suggest having
the identical place in your own home with home windows which you could
mainly look towards, the video pointing away from it, that simply turns into the place within the house or the workplace to simply at all times do it, proper?
– Yeah, yeah. And that is what I might do, too. The extra everlasting your setup, the extra typically you are going to simply, like, begin recording, which is partially why you’ve
this little GoPro setup you’ve got been utilizing recently, ‘trigger
it is simply on a change pod, able to go,
– BB to go! – And you’ll simply hit
file, begin speaking, and you do not have to suppose
about all of the technical stuff. And if you movie your stuff,
you simply do it outdoors, otherwise you simply open a
window, and it is simply type of easing the making of the movies. – Okay, let’s speak slightly bit extra and return to the iPhone
actually fast that we’ve… Clearly, you may click on and alter sure settings whereas filming. How would you do this? Like, would you click on on the topic, would you click on behind the topic? I do not know the way that works on an iPhone. – So, mainly, you’d faucet on what you need it to give attention to, after which it will set publicity, which is how shiny or darkish
one thing is, on the similar time. And for those who wanna lock that,
you simply press and maintain, and it will lock focus and publicity, in order that it is not altering on a regular basis. – Okay.
– However you may as well drag up and down; if it appears to be like too shiny, you drag it down slightly bit, if it appears to be like too darkish, you drag it up, after which you may set it that manner. – And hit file as soon as, get by means of that part of your course or video. Do not cease between takes.
– Yeah that is a standard false impression that each time you mess up, it is best to cease it and restart. Simply speak by means of all of it, and you may edit out all of the errors. – After which, lastly, by way of audio, let’s discuss that basically fast. What would you do at a
minimal for respectable audio? – In case you’re filming on a cellphone,
I just like the RØDE smartLav+. Plugs into the headphone jack, or lightning port, or USB,
or no matter your cellphone has, and also you clip it in your shirt
and it sounds fairly good, or you may get one thing
like this RØDE VideoMicro, and also you’d should kinda mount it on prime (microphones purrs)
of no matter digital camera you’ve. However the greatest factor is,
nearer the mic is to you, the higher it may sound. So, as we stroll additional
away from this, it is gonna sound worse, as Pat brings
it in, it is gonna begin to sound slightly clearer.
– Hey, all people. Or if I get tremendous near it; hey, guys. I guess this sounds tremendous creepy. Sorry. (each giggle) Superior, after which second last query: by way of framing
your self on the digital camera, – Mmhmm.
– is there… I do know there’s like a rule of thirds or…
– Yeah. – Like, the place ought to your eyes be? – Yeah, I are inclined to do rule of thirds for the place somebody’s eyes
are, so for those who minimize it into three sections vertically, I normally put somebody’s eye
on the highest of the 2 traces. After which, both simply put
your self within the center, or for those who’re gonna be
exhibiting stuff subsequent to you, like in a YouTube video or a course, or no matter,
(funky music in background) put your self on one of many thirds. So, normally, I put the trail
or whoever else I am filming on the correct third line,
and on the left aspect there’s room for textual content to come back up, or pictures, or slides, or what have you ever.
– Good, so if you realize that in your movies you wanna edit in
textual content or issues that are available in, it is best to be on both
one aspect or the opposite. It would not matter left or proper, to you? – I simply desire the
particular person to be on the correct. – Okay, after which textual content are available in on the left. Implausible! Hopefully, that is smart, and now that there is two cameras, like, I–
– Which one do you take a look at? Actually each.
– I do know. It is like that half in Moana, the place he is like
“Simply select one eye.” – [Tamatoa] Of the Mons..
Simply choose a watch, babe. I am unable to… I am unable to
consider what I am saying for those who hold… Yeah, choose one. Decide one! – So Group Flynn, let
us know what you suppose, and you probably have any questions. And likewise, would you like several tutorials like this, form of hands-on behind the scenes tutorials, for
different issues that I do? Let me know, and I would be comfortable to assist out and we’ll make it work. So, Caleb, any last
ideas earlier than we head out? – Simply hold it straightforward, and I do know that persons are gonna
ask what this factor is. – What this factor is, this contraption that I am holding is named the change pod. So, for all of you watching
this digital camera angle now, that is an invention that Caleb and I each constructed and invented. And it’s going dwell on KickStarter quickly, if not already at switchpod.co, and it means that you can maintain
issues vlog-style like this, but in addition with only a snap,
you may place it down and – Tripod mode, yeah.
– begin filming with the sunshine coming from behind the digital camera like you realize now the best way to do. So, anyway, thanks all
a lot for being right here. Switchpod.co if you need
to take a look at this system, and in addition let me know for those who
have any questions under. Thanks a lot, Group
Flynn. You are wonderful. Group Flynn for the win.
(fist punches digital camera)
– So lots of people